Christopher D. Lockwood
Christopher D. Lockwood
Attorney at Law
Christopher Lockwood received his BA in 1980 from Marquette University in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. He received his JD in 1983 from Loyola Law School in Los Angeles. The focus of his practice is legal research, writing, writs and appeals. He is a California Board Certified Specialist in appellate law. His distinguished career includes 29 published intermediate appellate decisions, three California Supreme Court decisions and over 200 unpublished appellate decisions. Mr. Lockwood has participated in approximately 50 jury and bench trials either as lead trial counsel or as an appellate specialist working with the trial counsel with the responsibility of protecting the record in complex cases that have a high likelihood of appellate review. He is available on short notice to assist trial counsel during trial by drafting in trial motions as requested by the trial judge, legal research needed during trial, all manner of post-trial motions, and ultimately an appeal, either by opposing or taking an appeal. Mr. Lockwood is experienced in general torts litigation, personal injury cases, public entity litigation, civil rights, land use, family law and all categories of employment law in both state and federal courts. Mr. Lockwood has been a presenter at numerous legal seminars. He has made presentations to the San Bernardino County Bar Association membership. He is an advisor to the Riverside County Sheriff and the Riverside County Risk Management Departments. Outside of the office, his hobbies include woodworking, piano, choir, biking, camping and hiking.
- California State Bar, 1983
- U.S. District Court Central District of California, 1984
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 1988
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1994
- Loyola Law School, Los Angeles, California
- J.D. - 1983
- Marquette University , Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- B.A. - 1980
- General Civil Litigation and Trials
- Appeals and Writs
Current Employment Position
- Arista v. County of Riverside (2018) 29 Cal.App.4th 1051.
- Armendariz v. Penman, 31 F.3d 860 (9th Cir. 1994), rehearing en banc granted, opinion on rehearing en banc 75 F.3d 1311 (9th Cir. 1996).
- Bailey v. County of Riverside, 414 F.3d 1023 (9th Cir. 2005).
- Benigni v. City of Hemet, 853 F.2d 1519 (9th Cir. 1988), modified 868 F.2d 307, modified 879 F.2d 473.
- Bostrom v. County of San Bernardino, 35 Cal.App.4th 1654 (1995).
- In re Castro, 919 F.2d 107 (9th Cir. 1990).
- Chaker v. Crogan, 428 F.3d 1215 (9th Cir. 2006) (amicus brief).
- Coppinger v. Rawlins, 239 Cal.App.4th 608 (1015).
- Cumming v. City of San Bernardino Redevelopment Agency, 101 Cal.App.4th 1229 (2002). [This case addressed the statute of limitations for a CEQA challenge.]
- Flethez v. San Bernardino County Employees Retirement Assn., 2 Cal.5th 630 (2017).
- Green v. County of Riverside, 238 Cal.App.4th 1363 (2015).
- Irwin v. City of Hemet, 22 Cal.App.4th 507 (1994).
- Jenkins v. County of Riverside, 398 F.3d 1093 (9th Cir. 2005).
- Jenkins v. County of Riverside, 138 Cal.App.4th 593 (2006).
- Jocer Enterprises v. Price, 183 Cal.App.4th 559 (2010).
- King v. CompPartners, Inc. (2018) 5 Cal.5th 1039.
- Manta Management Corp. v. City of San Bernardino, 43 Cal.4th 400 (2008).
- Morgan v. Davidson (2018) 29 Cal.App.4th 540.
- People v. Stanistreet, 29 Cal.4th 497 (2002) (amicus brief).
- Roberts v. College of the Desert, 861 F.2d 1163 (9th Cir. 1988), modified 870 F.2d 1411.
- Sacramento County Employees’ Retirement System v. Superior Court, 195 Cal.App.4th 440 (2011) (amicus brief).
- Salazar v. Diversified Paratransit, Inc., 117 Cal.App.4th 318 (2004) (amicus brief).
- Saman v. Robins, 173 F.3d 1150 (9th Cir. 1999).
- San Bernardino Physicians' Services Medical Group, Inc. v. County of San Bernardino, 825 F.2d 1404 (9th Cir. 1987).
- Sanchez v. County of San Bernardino, 176 Cal.App.4th 516 (2009).
- Soto v. County of Riverside, 162 Cal.App.4th 492 (2008).
- Stubblefield Construction Co. v. City of San Bernardino, 32 Cal.App.4th 687 (1995).
- Stubblefield Construction Company v. Superior Court, 81 Cal.App.4th 762 (2000).
- Urethane Foam Experts, Inc. v. Latimer, 31 Cal.App.4th 763 (1995).
- Watson v. County of Riverside, 300 F.3d 1092 (9th Cir. 2002).
- Z.V. v. County of Riverside, 162 Cal.App.4th 492 (2015).